Friday, 16 October 2015

What's on my spindle #1


Having recently finished knitting my latest knitting project, the Swallowtail Shawl, (just waiting for the blocking equipment to arrive!) I've turned my attention towards learning to use a support spindle.

A support spindle is a spindle that is supported from the bottom, usually spun in a bowl or other hard surface. This allows a finer thread to be spun because there is no strain on the thread, unlike a drop spindle where the weight of the spindle is pulling on the thread. 

Getting it started was a little tricky and I'm not sure my technique is very good. I've been drafting the wool to the thickness I want before spinning then flick the spindle while one hand holds the spindle upright and the other is moving up the wool to let the twist in.  

The wool I'm using is hand-dyed merino top from Longdrawjames. The colour is a lovely variegated deep purple and it is seriously soft.

Once the spindle is full, I'd like to try the Navajo plying technique to get a 3-ply yarn.

Miranda
x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts.

Google+