Friday 5 June 2015

DIY: Homemade Mayo



If only I had known it was this quick and easy to do, I'd have been making fresh mayo years ago! It always seemed something only the likes of celebrity T.V. chefs could do. But that is not so. You and I can do it and all you need are a few simple ingredients and a spare minute or two.

So mayo is basically just egg and oil (try ground nut, rapeseed, vegetable or olive) plus some seasoning of choice. Start with an egg yolk, add a splash of vinegar and use a balloon whisk to mix together. Then, slowly, and I mean SLOWLY, whisk the oil into the mixture drop by drop. If you add too much too soon the ingredients will separate and no amount of whisking will rescue it. Once it starts to look and feel like mayo you can add a bit more oil as you go. Keep adding the oil until you reach a desirable consistency. I found that one egg yolk to 100ml oil gave me a nice thick mayo and was just enough for two servings.

At this point you can add seasoning to flavour the mayo. Some ideas to try are salt & pepper, mustard, paprika, lemon juice or garlic but you can season with anything. Have fun experimenting.

The mayo should be used almost immediately. Because it is fresh it will only keep two or three days in the fridge. I'll be having mine tonight with some cheesy chips ;) 

Miranda
x







No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts.

Google+